Sarah Lightner is a lifelong Mid-Michigan resident, attending Springport High School and Lansing Community College. In addition to her great devotion public service, Sarah has made her career as a paralegal specializing in criminal defense and family law.
As County Commissioner for Jackson’s 1st District, Sarah dedicated herself to being a real presence in the community and getting to know her constituents on a personal level. Throughout her first term in the House, Sarah took the lessons learned as a county official to Lansing to advocate for common sense government practices and fiscal responsibility. Sarah is passionate about serving her community and helping others.
Sarah currently lives in Springport with her husband David and their two young sons, Eli and Gavin. Sarah and David run a small crop farm, custom hay baling and wrapping operation, as well as a deer processing business in the fall. Sarah and David are active members of the Jackson County Farm Bureau Young Farmers Group and the Springport FFA Alumni and Boosters. She enjoys taking in new Michigan experiences and hunting in her free time.
Community Service and Memberships:
Sarah Lightner has committed herself to a life of service. In addition to her first term as your State Representative, and her time served as Jackson County Commissioner, she served on the following boards and commissions:
- Criminal Justice Policy Commission, Governor’s Appointee
- Jackson County Fair Board, Chair
- Judiciary Committee of the Michigan Association of Counties, Chair
- National Association of Counties Steering Committee on Justice, Member
- Jackson County Farm Bureau Young Farmers Group/ProFILE leadership Graduate
- Jackson County Agriculture Preservation Board, Member
- MSU Extension Advisory Board, Member
- Jackson College Agricultural Advisory Council, Member
- Springport FFA Alumni and Boosters, Member
- Michigan Works! Southeast Consortium Board Member